Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Good Morning!

I know this topic has come up before but it's one that I'm revisiting at the moment. Morning pages. I forget where I first read about them, but I know Linda Lewis in her column for Writers' Forum has been talking about it recently too.

Morning pages, for those of you who are not familiar with the term, is when as soon as you wake up you write down everything and anything that comes into your head. It's a little like free writing that you do in the morning: no stopping, no crossing out. The idea behind it is that the barrier between your unconscious and conscious mind is more fluid when you first wake up and this is where your creativity comes in - writing down your dreams or initial thoughts in the morning can help to unlock your creativity and it may be where your best writing ideas might come from.

Most people who know me will be aware that I am not really a morning person. I'm not a night owl either. I have tried this orning pages approach before with varying degrees of success. But I hadn't tried it for a while. So for the last few days I have been rising early (ish) and getting out my note book and sitting down in my PJs with a nice cup of tea and writing down whatever comes into my head.

Initially, I felt self conscious and a bit silly, as well as drowsy - and my handwriting in these books will take an expert in ancient hieroglyphics to decipher - but, I have to say, I'm finding the process interesting and actually quite funny! The things I've written down in my just-woken-up state are hilarious when I go back and read it through.Believe me, you do not want to know what I dream about!  It certainly makes me smile and I'm finding that once I start writing, I don't want to stop. Whether anything that I've written makes it into a short story or article remains to be seen - but I'm enjoying the process and it's nice being the first one up in the house and enjoy that few minutes of solitude and quiet.

Now usually in the Phillips' household, the morning is not the most serene and unhurried place to be - especially on a school day - so I have another week of early morning peace until chaos descends again. It will be interesting to see if I can keep the morning pages going. Why don't you have a go at it too? It doesn't have to take a long time. A couple of minutes will do - see if it helps your creativity and writing.

Happy writing
Julie xx

No comments: