Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 21 September 2012

Back on the Bandwagon

I am pleased to report that I've managed to get a lot of writing done recently. I've now got 13 short stories out there in womag land waiting for verdicts with more in the pipeline. The satisfaction of working a simple idea into a story and editing  it and subbing it is fantastic - never mind if it gets published or not. To me, actually writing the stories and getting them subbed is a feat in itself! Getting them published is the icing on the cake.

I've been working hard to try and preserve my writing time. I was lucky over the summer as I work in a primary school and so had the six weeks' holiday too. But it's amazing how quickly that time goes, as any parent or child will tell you and it's mind boggling what other activities took up the time that I'd earmarked for writing!

I've tried to find more writing time by giving up a couple of things that were taking me away from writing and I've compiled a table with days of the week in one column and available writing times in another and I've filled in which writing project I'm doing in that allotted writing time. I have to say that it's working rather well and I've achieved far more than I have done previously by just writing randomly!

It's my theory (and in my experience) that the way to get published is to be determined, persevere - keep at it, and to make certain sacrifices that will allow you to write more and to learn how to improve your writing and act on it. I've been doing all of that and will let you know how I get on. Rejection hasn't stopped me and I hope it won't stop you!

Happy organising your writing!
Julie

2 comments:

Diane Perry said...

Great post Julie, I agree it's all about planning time in to write. Since dropping one day at work I have got so much writing done because I try to dedicate that day to writing. Now I seem to be getting some good results as well as a few rejections along the way. xx

Simon Whaley said...

Despite writing full time I still find I need to organise my time and now find that I do certain types of writing at specific times of the day. And I also do different writing jobs on different days of the week too. It's quite complicated all this time management stuff!