Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 17 October 2012

On a Roll .....

One of the hardest things about writing is getting the time to actually sit down and write. The past couple of Weeks have proved difficult for me to find the time to write, but when I have, I've used that time wisely and been fairly productive.

It doesn't seem to matter how much writing time you have, it's what you do with it that counts. You can have all the time in the world and still not write something that is up to publishing standard, yet have minimal time and end up having several of your pieces of work published. That's the way it is!

My advice is, as always, the moment you have a free slot, whether that be ten minutes, half an hour or a couple of hours, to get your bum on that chair and write! It all soon adds up and you will feel better for it. In half an hour you could have half the first draft of a short story or article. In two hours you might have finished the whole of the first draft. Just think how satisfying that would feel.

Even though my writing time has been reduced this week and I have yet to do any of the writing projects I set myself at the beginning of the week I am not going to throw in the towel! Getting yourself into this negative mind set can really scupper your writing output. So what if I fail to write that short story this week? I'll finish it off next week. Just because you haven't met the writing targets you set out for yourself today it does not give you permission to give it all up as a bad job ;0)

However much or little you manage to write, remember this: anything you write is better than staring at a blank page and it will get easier the sooner you start. Don't waste your writing time stressing over what you haven't yet done.  Celebrate what you have done and then get on with it!


Happy getting on with it!

Julie xx

3 comments:

Christine said...

Just the sort of inspiring talk I needed today, Julie. I felt my backbone stiffen as I read your post! I've been wasting time, but tomorrow is another day and I'll try to make better use of it.

I haven't commented for ages but I read and enjoy all of your blog posts.

Julie P said...

Hi, Christine,

Thanks for your comment - my own backbone was stiffening as I wrote it! It doesn't matter how much you write as long as you write something and that's something I shall be doing this evening!

Good luck with your writing

Julie xx

susanjanejones said...

Great post Julie, and so true.