Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 23 October 2012

They're like buses .....

Writing is a lot like waiting for a bus. When you're desperate to catch one because it's thrashing it down with rain, your feet are killing you and you can't bear the long walk home, they either fly past the stop, bursting at the seams - no room for you, or none come at all. When you're not wanting to rest your feet and it's a sunny day three come at once. That's life, I guess.

So how can you cope with this frustrating writing life - when one minute you've had ten rejections in one week and then hear nothing for two months, only to have an acceptance followed by three more rejections, three months hiatus and another acceptance?The only way I know is to keep writing - laugh in the face if rejection (hah, hah, hee, hee!) and stop waiting for buses. They'll be one along soon enough when you're least expecting it.

Waiting for news about your short stories is frustrating and yes, it takes a long, long....... long, long, long .......... long time, sometimes. But if you can sub your short stories then forget about them and move on to writing and subbing some more, you will always have a steady stream of stories going out which will soften the blow of those being returned, rejected.

And, every now and then  -  more now than then, I hope - you will have an acceptance which will give you that much needed boost to make you realise why you started writing in the first place and why it's a spiffing idea to carry on!

For instance, I had two short stories returned to me in the same envelope by Woman's Weekly  last week, though they did send the unused SAE too (thank you!) But, I also had one short story accepted by the Weekly News - so I'm happy :0)

Happy subbing

Julie xx

8 comments:

Wendy's Writing said...

Oh, how I understand, Julie. It's a rollercoaster, isn't it. Last month I had 3 stories accepted at the same time by Fiction Feast and one from Woman's Weekly. That high has been followed by a low.....the waiting game when you hear nothing at all or the dread when you hear the postman!

Christine said...

Congratulations on your Weekly News acceptance, Julie. Note that I'm not even mentioning those 'others'. Once I've sent a piece off and logged it on my spreadsheet I try to forget about it - but it's very hard...

Julie P said...

It's the waiting that's the worse thing, Wendy, isn't it! I have to find lots of distractions.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thank you Christine. It's so hard when you get a rejection when you know that other writers have had two or three accepted at the magazine that continuously rejects yours! Onwards and upwards! I always say that when I'm a rich and famous author (Hah!) I won't give interviews to the mags that rejected me, lol! That little act of revenge is what keeps me writing, sometimes!
Julie xx

Wendy's Writing said...

I meant to say, well done on the sale to The Weekly News. I've had no success there yet - four stories with them (two sent in May!)and have heard nothing from them.

Julie P said...

Hi, Wendy,

Thank you! The story I've just had accepted as subbed in April but she also has another of mine which she said she would be getting to soon and I subbed that in June, I think - so she should be getting to yours too. This is the 4th story I've had published with them and I've had two published in Australia but have had no luck with any of the others (not for the want of trying!) Good luck with yours.

Julie xx

Frances Garrood said...

I totally agree, but would add that waiting for news of a novel is far far worse!

Please could you consider getting rid of the word verification? I find them impossible, and I'm not even a robot!

Julie P said...

Hi, Frances.

Yes, I would imagine that waiting for news on your novel would be worse! I've not yet had that particular pleasure ;0)

I will consider your request re the word verification - I don't like it when I go on other sites that have it either, but I did have some issues with spam previously which is why I set it up in the first place.

Happy writing,

Julie xx