Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 20 November 2012

Challenge Time!

I like a good challenge. And with our writing I think we should challenge ourselves every day!
So, your mission this week, should you choose to accept it, is to think of an idea for a writing project aimed at a market you haven't targeted before. If you're an article writer, try writing a short story. If you're a novelist, try writing an article, if your a short story writer, try writing the outline for a novel. If you're a poet, try writing an article. And if you write all of these already - you don't get out of the challenge. Oh no! You get to write on a subject / in a genre you've never considered writing on before and on something you know absolutely about!

Thinking about another form of writing that you wouldn't normally do can help kick start your creativity and improve your writing.

Let us know how you get on!

Happy new writing!

Julie xx

5 comments:

Wendy's Writing said...

I read your challenge and thought 'that's interesting' but hadn't planned to take you up on it. Anyway, you must have sowed a seed in my mind as,while walking the dog,I created a poem in my head and was so pleased I had to rush home and write it down.This was a welcome change from short story writing. Thanks!

Stuthi B said...

I only recently started a blog. Does that count? I usually write articles or essays, so this is an extremely daunting challenge for me.

Wendy's Writing said...

Hi Julie. Just to let you know - since writing my last comment, I went on to enter my poem into a competition! I was so impressed with the idea of writers 'thinking outside their own writing box', that I've given you a mention and linked to your page in today's post on my blog.

Julie P said...

Well done, Wendy. That's brilliant. You see what you can achieve when you the gauntlet's been thrown down!

Keep it up!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Stuthie,

Of course it counts! It's all writing.

Well done on taking that first step --happy blogging!