Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 28 December 2012

Inspiring Blogs



Thanks to http://simonwhaleytutor.blogspot.com for this award! I do try to encourage other writers to be as enthusiastic about their writing as I am about my own. If I hadn't read encouraging comments and advice from other writers I know I would have given up by now!

So, the tradition is that I have to now offer up seven random facts as to why I started to write.

1. I was an avid reader as a child - just like Mr Whaley, the library was my second home.
2. I started my writing career by getting a letter published in Bunty magazine (old comic for little girls in the 70s and 80s) The letter was about my dog Gemma and her love of yogurt! I must have been about 8 or 9 at the time.
3. I also, as a child, once won a WH Smith writing competition and won some WH Smith vouchers. I don't have a clue what I wrote!
4. I came third in a local arts festival with a poem that I had to read out to the festival audience. I was so scared I almost lost the power of speech!
5. When I was a teenager I wrote pages and pages of very bad poetry. I was much more comfortable in my own company with my nose in a book or writing.
6. When I was 18 I subbed my first two short stories to People's Friend. They were rejected (very gently) and here we are 23 years later and nothing has changed on that score, lol!
7. Joining Wrekin Writers, my local writers' group, in 2008, was the best thing I ever did for my writing. I am forever grateful for their support and bad influence!

I'd like to pass this award on to Di Perry http://working2write.blogspot.co.uk  as a fellow Wrekin Writer she is one of those bad influences ;0)  Martin at http://square-sunshine.blogspot.co.uk  for his amazing photos - very lovely and inspiring (he and his pictures!) and Womag http://womagwriter.blogspot.co.uk for her excellent advice and information database for short story writers.

Whatever you write keep writing it and don't ever give up!

Julie xx

3 comments:

Wendy's Writing said...

Congratulations on the award. I also nominated you (see my blog) - did you not get the it? Hope you had a good Christmas?

Julie P said...

Sorry, Wendy! You know - I'm terrible! I didn't see it. Mind you, I only happened upon Simon's by chance. I blame my head cold.

Thank you anyway and I will be on your blog soon to rectify my mistake - I can't believe I missed it!

Yup had a good Christmas and I hope you did too - just want to get on back to normality now, though!

Julie xx

Diane Perry said...

Well deserved Julie, I am always inspired by both of your blogs. Many thanks for passing on this award to me. I am thrilled. x