Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 6 December 2012

Nick Nacks

My writing room is, let's face it, a bit (okay, a lot) of a mess at the moment. I have papers thrown carelessly all over the place, books littering the floor and as for my in box and outbox filing system - well - the less said about that the better!

I like to think of my writing room as representing the creative side of my brain: messy, illogical, imaginative, impulsive, with attitude, airy fairy, what will be, will be. I'm sure because my room is less tidy than it could and should be, I have writing ideas galore. And the minute I tidy it up, puff will go all my ideas (well that's my theory anyway and I'm sticking to it!

But what I also have in here are some nick nacks that I've picked up along the way  - little treasures that help me through the writing day. Most notable are my collections of pebbles. They come in all shapes and sizes and I love nothing more than to hold them in my hand when I'm worried about something or the words just won't come. They are very therapeutic but I haven't started talking to them (yet!)

I also have a couple of mugs - one from my favourite book shop, Wenlock Books, one with giraffes on - one of my favourite animals, one to commemorate the 50th birthday of my old secondary school and one with a horse nebular on it from the Shropshire Astronomical Society - all of which have special meaning to me and hold my various pens and what not. By these I have a wooden pen holder handmade by a six year old child in June this year who had made it and painted it for me as  a thank you for being his teaching assistant that year  -  so this has pride of place.

I have a tiny pewter Welsh dragon from Beddgelert where I stayed on retreat with my writing group, a white porcelain Buddha head, a toy stuffed giraffe and a collection of Lego figures (series 8 if you're interested):

Cowgirl - to lasso those book deals!
American Footballer - to push for those writing challenges
Cheer leader -  to cheer myself on when I think no-one else cares
An Austrian pretzel seller - to remind me to take a break and a snack(!)
A diver in full diving gear - to remind me to take the plunge

I will get round to tidy it all up soon - but the minute I do, apart from losing my inspiration and creativity, I'll probably not be able to find anything - I can lay my hand on whatever I want at the moment with no problems!

So what do you have in your writing space to help spur you on?

Julie xx

4 comments:

Wendy's Writing said...

I am probably very unusual in this, but I don;t have anything.I roam around the house writing in random rooms like a nomad!

janerisdon said...

I recently tidied my desk and was so impressed with the space I discovered underneath piles of notes and books and bits of paper and photos, I took a photo and posted it on my author page. Would you Adam and Eve it - 606 people viewed it!! Not sure what that says about people but made me laugh. I have now gone from tidy to manageable mess. Instructions for new WiFi connection, cup of cold tea, notes (of course) pairs of glasses, various mobile phones, portable hard drive, two printers and various memory sticks that I can see just now. Somehow I manage but in the evenings, it is netbook on my lap on the sofa, feet on coffee table(smacked wrist) and Radio 4 keeping me company with the ever handy cuppa.

Julie P said...

I think having a wander does your writing good, Wendy!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

It's amazing what you discover when you tidy your desk, Jane!

Julie xx