Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 12 May 2013

One at a time please.

For those of us who try and try (and try and try and try and try, again) to get the fiction editors of women's magazines to publish our work, it can all get a bit confuddled and frustrating when story after story is returned, rejected, without a reason.

Some writers are lucky in that they eventually reach the stage, after many, many attempts and bog standard rejection slips, when they finally get that much coveted and revered 'personal' comment from the editor either asking for a rewrite or pointing out what why the story wasn't right for them. Now I've never had one of these, but I've heard some writers speak of them! They are like gold dust and must give the much rejected writer such hope that there is a light at the end of their short story black hole.

So how can we writers who have yet to enter that much longed for stage increase our chances of attracting the hallowed editor's attention in this way? My strategy at the moment, having had a short break from writing short stories, is to read one of the women's magazines at a time. No more flitting from Take A Break Fiction Feast to The Weekly News, to People's Friend, to the long haul flight of That's Life in Australia and back again for me, as was my previous inclination.

If you think about it, my past modus operandi was doomed to fail from the start. Each of those magazines I've mentioned has their own unique style and distinct set of requirements and submission guidelines. So by flitting between them (I have such a butterfly mind) I wasn't doing myself or my chances of publishing success any favours.

So from now on, for the next month or so, I will be mostly be reading Women's Weekly stories in an attempt to absorb the tone and style of story the editor likes. I was hoping to go to one of their all day writing workshops in London as I know attending this would definitely help me, but due to other commitments I can't this year - but they are popular and who knows? They might be running again next year when I can be more organised and book a place early! Go on the Women's Weekly Website for their submission guidelines and details of the workshops. They've just put an extra date on so if you're quick you might just get in.

Try focusing on one women's magazine at a time and see if it makes a difference. I already have four, possibly five short story ideas to have a go at for Women's Weekly (I'm so sorry Gaynor Davies but you're going to get more short stories!) I'll let you know how I get on and please do tell us here how you do too.

Happy reading and writing
Julie xx

4 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Excellent, the way to go, girl x

Simon Whaley said...

Good luck!

Wendy's Writing said...

I have had 3 short stories published in WW but have found it the hardest one to please.Because of this I am going on the WW workshop in London. It's a shame that you can't make it, Julie, as it would have been nice to have met you. I am pleased to been one of the lucky ones to receive many lovely letters and emails from PF.

Julie P said...

Thank you, Carole, Simon and Wendy. I must admit that I've had a bit of a downer on short stories recently but think I'm ready to have another bash at it now.

It would have been nice to have met you and all the other lovely writers going there who I've met on blogs and Facebook too. Next year maybe!
Julie XX