Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 20 July 2013

A Change is as Good as a Rest

Today marks the first day of the school summer holidays. I realise I'm extremely lucky to work in a school and can enjoy the 6 week break and the extended opportunities it gives me to write more. I also appreciate how difficult it must be for those who do not have the school holidays off.  I was in the same position before I switched from nursing to education.

But I won't be resting on my laurels - oh no - I have a full writing diary that will allow me to catch up on the writing projects I haven't had the time to devote to, with a couple of days a week off completely. Yes, even writers need a break once in a while! Even though my mind is usually buzzing with writing ideas I am forcing myself to down tools and not write to indulge in some family time (I don't need much persuading for that!)

I know that in my own personal experience, taking a break from my writing does me the world of good. It allows me to relax which is when I get most of my more useful creative moments. I can also go back to my writing projects with fresh eyes after gaining new experiences and knowledge by doing things other than writing.

So don't forget to take some time out yourself. Your creativity and writing will thank you for it.
 

1 comment:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Very true, Julie. If you have a moment, I've reinstated The Cake and Custard Bookshop and looking for some followers to get it going. Have a great holiday, Julie. Much love, Carole.
http://thecakeandcustardbookshop.blogspot.com