Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 27 July 2013

Always something to learn

There are thousands of writers out there who write short stories for the Women's magazine market. I'm not trying to scare you or put you off by pointing out the level of stiff competition out there, honest! I rather find it quite comforting that there are other writers in the same boat as I am, travelling the same pot hole riddled road, facing the same obstacles and having the same fears and problems with their writing.

Some people are further along the road to publication than others and some are more successful. But, it's not the destination we're concerned with but the journey. I've been lucky enough to meet some lovely fellow writers along the road and in my personal writing journey. A lot of them have been kind enough to impart their vast knowledge and I'm sure that even the most experienced and widely published of them would agree that even they are still picking up pointers and learning along the way. I know I am.

Which is why I ordered two books on writing short stories. One is Della Galton's How to Write and Sell Short Stories, and the other: How to Write Short Stories for Magazines - and get published! by Sophie King. I've had a few short stories published and know I have a lot more to learn about writing them and getting them published. That's why I like to read as many books on the subject as I can.

The authors of such books each come from a unique standpoint and have different perspectives, knowledge and life experiences to bring to the table. And whether you've had nil or 100 + of your short stories published you can gain so much from reading up on the subject and refreshing your knowledge to help you write better, saleable short stories.

So think about picking up a book written by the experts and keep practising and growing as a writer - it can only bring goodness and improvement to your writing.

                              


Other books I've read recently on the subject and can recommend:

     



Julie xx

6 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Some very helpful books, Julie.

Haneen I. Adam said...

True, I love reading about the craft, there is always room for improvement and a writer is a work in progress after all :)

Simon Whaley said...

You'll b able to add your own book to the list soon!

Julie P said...

Hee, hee, Simon!

Julie P said...

Thank you, Carole!

Julie P said...

This is very true, Haneen - there's always another goal to reach.