Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 27 September 2013

Following footsteps

Tomorrow , I am going to take a closer look at my local area. I will be following the footsteps of Ellis Peters - aka Edith Pargeter of the brother Cadfael novels fame. She was born and lived for a while in the area I live in and worked in the chemist just up the road. It would have been her 100th birthday this week and the local council and heritage group have organised a series of events exploring her life, including a walk and talk which I'm attending tomorrow.

I think it's an interesting exercise to look at the lives of famous authors, especially those in your locality and it can not only inspire and motivate you when you realise that yes, someone like you who lives (lived) near you actually got published and had their books made in to a successful TV series, but it's useful in looking at her writing practices also. She also has a housing estate road named after her something we can all aspire to ;0)

I'm sure that I will find out lots about this extraordinary lady who was also one of the founding members of my local writing group. A couple of our members knew her and I'm looking forward to learning more about her. She died way before I became a member of the writing group.

So, if ever you get a similar opportunity, take it if you can. You never know where it might lead and I'm sure I'll have some article and short story ideas from the day.

Happy writing
Julie xx

2 comments:

Paula R C Readman said...

I'm lucky enough to know Elizabeth Lord she is amazing lady of 85 with 25 books published and is busy working on her next book which she reads out to us at her writing group.

Julie P said...

There's something about the older generation isn't there, Paula! They're unstoppable! They put the rest of us to shame.
Julie xx