Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 27 April 2014

Think About It

Having read more short stories in the women's magazines than I can remember and analysed them to death. But nothing helps me more to get closer to writing a publishable short story than actually sitting down and writing them. The more practise I get the better. But I've also learnt more recently to take more notice of the structure of my stories and what their purpose is.

I like to think about what kind of a story I am actually writing, what the point of it is and whether the story I thought I was writing is actually the story I have ended up with! Quite often it isn't and I have to either go back a few steps and change it so it does serve its purpose or see what new parameters it has.

I think that by looking at my stories in this way and being honest about if it is a story that the womags might publish I might just break into some of the womags I have yet to be published in.

Take a look at your short stories too and let's hope we can all get our success rates up!

Happy writing

Julie

No comments: