Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 15 May 2014

Funny How Things Turn Out

If you think back to the beginning of your writing life, what were your aspirations? What did you hope to achieve with your writing? Looking at your writing life now - have you achieved what you set out to?

When I first started out I wanted to write articles which I did and I had some success with this. Then I wanted to add short stories to my repertoire. I had some success with that, but it was obvious that the articles were more my forte. Then I wrote a non-fiction book and got it published. I hadn't envisaged that at all previously in my writing career, but now I have a book deal for three non-fiction books, local history on world War 1.

Sometimes, what we think we want to write isn't always what we should write, or what the universe and life conspires for us to write. And when writing opportunities come our way we shouldn't dismiss them just because they divert us from our current writing path or what we want to write. I haven't written much historical non-fiction before, only the odd article that contained some local history peppered throughout. This was a challenge that I was keen to take. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I did some research, formed the synopsis for the three books and pitched them and the publisher said yes. Simple as that.

So far the research has been fascinating and I've met some lovely and very helpful people, people and contacts I wouldn't have met had I not taken the challenge. I have a lot of work to do but at least it is writing work that I am getting paid for and on a subject I am interested in. I can still continue with some of my other writing projects while I'm writing the books and who knows, what I learn through my research for the books might come in handy for my non-fiction books too.

Don't be afraid to try something new with your writing as you never know where it might lead.

Happy writing
Julie x

No comments: