Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 14 September 2014

The nights are drawing in

It happens every year. One minute you're on a beach, delighting in the wonderful sunlight, feeling the warm sand between your toes, and the next you're back at your writing desk typing away, the sound of waves lapping against the shore a distant memory.

It's all too easy to get a little down this time of year; there's a definite nip in the air, the leaves are starting to tumble from the trees, the hours of daylight are getting shorter - but from this writer's point of view, there's a lot to be said for drawing the curtains and retreating to one's writing room.

Autumn is the perfect opportunity to write more. It's colder outside and darker in the evenings. I'm less likely to want to venture outside and I know it's tempting to park yourself on the sofa in front of the TV watching all the wonderful dramas that appear from nowhere in the autumn and winter months - watch them if you must (I know I do sometimes), but don't forget to get yourself up into your writing space and get writing too.

I like autumn for its colours and its change of season and scenery. There's just something about it. Its newness and potential. The pull of the summer and the outdoor life abates a little and I don't have to feel guilty about retreating to my writing room and getting down to the business of some serious writing.

It's nice to know that I will emerge in the spring, having got many words off my chest and on to paper - whether those words will be published I don't know, but for me the fun is in the writing process, the choosing of words, the editing, the creativity, the escapism, not in the finished product, although being published is great.

For me, this autumn will consist of writing my three WW1 non-fiction books, what will you be writing?

Happy autumnal writing!

Julie x

No comments: