Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 16 April 2015

Are you sure?

Something I've been thinking about a lot lately, is whether as writers we are really writing the right thing. I know when a new idea comes into my head for a writing project, I can think about little else until I've at least jotted down a few notes on it. I've also found that if I spend a long time on any project, I start to get cold feet and my attention wanders towards something shiny and new.

I spoke last week about the benefits of taking a break from what you usually write but what if the temporary break isn't enough? What if your project no longer excites you and it isn't just a passing phase? The longer you leave a project the harder, sometimes, it is to get back into to. I found, though that it was a joy to come back to writing short stories and articles after a long period of not doing so and then it was great to get back to the books.

I have several projects, however, that I've now ignored for years and I don't know that I'll ever go back to them. The thought of going back to them doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm at the moment. But they may do in the future. Perhaps I haven't yet left them long enough for them to percolate and mature. Or, maybe their purpose was not to ever be edited and see the light of day but to improve my writing by my just getting them out of my system, using them as practise.

I feel that in order for a piece of writing to be any good the writer must believe in it and be enthusiastic about it. The enthusiasm will leak through and show in it. If you don't have the heart for it then it will be drab and flat. Maybe it's time for you to rethink your writing projects like I have and be prepared to let them go to allow yourself and your mind to be free for a project that does excite you.

No comments: