Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 31 May 2015

Best Laid Plans

In my last blog post I talked about making the most if the time you have to write. I also suggested you try to write an agenda for the week, noting down the times you have to write and what you are going to write in that time. But it isn't as easy as that.

Life has a habit of getting in the way and it's easy to become despondent when you get behind with your writing and find you are having to play catch up. The worst thing you can do if you want to be a professional writer is to tell yourself I'm so far behind now, I might as well give up. Don't.

Perhaps one of the reasons you are behind is that you have tried to cram too much into your limited writing time. It might be time to look at what you really want to achieve with your writing and prioritise it. Resist the urge to attempt to do too much and although it might take you longer to achieve your writing goal, at least you'll have a better chance if doing it. This is because writing something is better than writing nothing.

Happy writing
Julie x

No comments: