Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 24 May 2015

Making the Most of it

If you are anything like me you have 101 things to do and not enough time to do it in. Have you ever known anyone who appears to be super organised? Their house and they are always immaculate; they get everything done, seamlessly, with time to spare. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people and probably never will be, so I work with what I've got, within my limitations.

Ask any writer and they will probably tell you that they never have enough time to write. I've been both a full time writer and a part time writer and I amaze myself with how much more productive I am as a part time writer than I ever was when I had all day, everyday to write. We all have 24 hours in the day. Granted, we all have different responsibilities and priorities that take us away from our writing but I am of the opinion that if you really want to write you will find time to do it in. You actually need less time than you think you need.

Although I'm not the most organised writer in the world I do write myself a writing agenda every week. I have a table where I add the days of the week down one column with space to type my planned writing activities and a column for any comments. I then look at my diary for that week and add in available writing times to fit around my other commitments. It's just a simple grid - nothing fancy which I print out and place on the wall in my office in front of me so I can see, at a glance, what I need to do on any given day.

I'm also getting sneaky with it and taking half an hour of my lunch break at work to secret myself away and write and I'm taking half an hour in the morning to do the same, before I go to work. I'm not a morning person so we'll see how that one pans out.

Because I work outside of writing most of my writing gets done at the weekend, evenings or in the school holidays, but even though I have limited time, I always make sure I get my writing done. It's no good lamenting lack of writing time because the time spent whining about it is time that could be spent writing!

Have a go at doing a writing agenda and see if it helps you to gain more writing time - it works for me.

Happy writing

Julie x

No comments: