Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 12 July 2015

Keep Calm and Carry On

I'm two thirds out of the way through my WW1 books writing now having just packaged up the second of three books for Pen and Sword. It hasn't been easy but I'm glad I took on the projects and I've learnt a lot about WW1 and the research process. My efforts have paid off as they have offered me a further contract to write about WW2 next year.

I like to vary my writing contracts and since I've been concentrating on the WW1 books I've really enjoyed the process of researching and writing non-fiction books. When I first signed the contracts I wasn't sure if I would be able to do them. I knew it was going to involve a phenomenal amount of work, time and effort but having had one non-fiction book published before I knew I was capable of doing it.

That's not to say that there weren't times when I felt overwhelmed and that I was never going to get the work done but I reminded myself that panicking would achieve nothing and the best course of action was to keep calm and carry on. Some of the hitches were out of my control. When you need to interview a lot of people and are relying on libraries, etc., to provide you with images, it is inevitable that there will be delays. It's what you do about delays that is key.

Instead pf sitting, waiting, twiddling my thumbs, I went out and researched other aspects of books or wrote a different part. This not only stopped me from worrying but it meant that when the images and info did come I had already written other parts of the books and this helped me to save time later on.

So, if you're feeling overwhelmed by your writing projects don't forget to keep calm and carry on. You will get there in the end and you never know, your determination, hard work and tenacity could see you get more writing work.

Happy writing

Julie

No comments: