Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

It's not for the feint hearted is a saying that could quite easily apply to writing. Putting your work out there takes a lot of courage and would shatter the nerves of those with a weaker constitution! And as for rejections - well, they don't advise you to develop a thick skin quickly, if you want to get published, for nothing. It's enough to make one reach for the smelling salts or the wine.

But, having said that, the writing business can also be the most wonderful experience and job to have. Where else would you have the opportunity or be allowed to sit on your bum for hours, staring out of the window, making up stories and, if you're lucky, get paid for it -  Apart from being a politician -  now stop that! There's no need to be mean!

It's all too easy to fall into our comfort zone, though, and refuse to climb out again. If we write the same sort of thing, day in, day out, it doesn't take long to lose our sense of adventure. If we lose that, it isn't long before we also lose our sense of perspective and our drive to take our writing career forward.

I've been stuck in that particularly unpleasant rut before and I have no intention to go back in there. So to prevent it I like to challenge myself by writing different things and looking for writing opportunities in places I wouldn't automatically do so. My inner critic doesn't like this very much and protests avidly, trying her utmost to drag me back by my hair, kicking and screaming, to my comfort zone. But I don't let her. I dig my heels in and write about things I know little about, explore avenues that I don't recognise and I don't give up. I learn about what I want to write so that I do know what I'm talking about.

I've had quite a good run with one particular magazine as far as my short stories go recently and instead of resting on my laurels, churning out the same stuff they've taken before, I'm looking for ways to improve my stories, to make them better and more appealing. I'm also trying to write more stories for other magazines too. Having been burned by more rejections than I could paper my house with, I'd been put off a bit, but not any more. My determination and resolve has returned and my feint heart might quiver a bit but it's not going to get the better of me.

Don't be afraid to strike out in a different direction or try something completely new because you don't know what you are capable of writing or getting published until you do it. Let us know how you get on.

Happy writing

Julie xx

No comments: