Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 31 December 2015

Living (and writing) in the Present

I set myself and you the challenge of writing 12 short stories over the 12 days of Christmas. It was an attempt to write in season and infuse the essence of the festivities into our writing. Being in the moment is so important. I can't imaging writing Christmas stories in May or June when the flowers are blooming and we are bathed (hopefully) in warm, golden sunshine. But when there is tinsel, carols and mulled wine, then I'm there.

So how are you getting on? Did you manage to write any stories over Christmas, or did you write a few ideas down to work on in the coming weeks? I hope you got something out of the exercise. I know I did. I now have 5 stories of lengths between 1000 and 2000 words to edit and sub nearer the time and I have a few ideas I have yet to write up. I'm hoping to get at least one of them published in the Christmas magazines of 2016. I hope you do too.

I'm trying hard to live life in the present. The past has gone and the future hasn't arrived yet, so all we really have is now. Grounding myself in the present moment, I hope, will let me concentrate and focus better which should have a positive impact on my writing. I have a tendency to race ahead and barrel into the future which isn't helpful. For me, it's the here and now that is important - the journey rather than the destination.

Happy staying in the moment and I hope have a wonderful writing time in 2016.


Julie x

2 comments:

Maria said...

Hi Julie,

Didn't see your challenge until today, but it sounds like a good one. Great to hear you have five stories to edit and send out. Good luck with them and let us know how they fair...

I'm concentrating on my novel this year. Really need to get it done now.

Happy New Year

Maria

Julie P said...

Hi, Maria,

I really enjoyed the challenge and although I didn't quite manage to get 12 written over the Christmas period, I know I have 12 waiting to be written up and subbed in the Summer! I'd recommend it! Good luck with your novel x