Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 28 January 2016

Flagging Yet?

Here we are almost at the end of January 2016 and I wonder how many of us are still writing with the same vigour and enthusiasm as we were once the fireworks, alcohol and sofa sitting ended? It's easy to feel dispirited this time of year. We have been back in the routine for a few weeks now and the weather has generally been dark and dismal. It's no wonder that we might be feeling less than motivated.

How can we keep going when our resolve is flagging? Actually a lot of what I am about to suggest doesn't have a ; lot to do with the physical act of writing. What I find useful is to get out and about in the fresh air. Go for a walk, even if it is raining or cold and grey. Being outside helps me to see things from a different perspective. I can breath in new air and take in my surroundings. Instead of sitting at my desk, typing away, I can take my office outside and as I am walking, making my muscles work and my lungs fill with air and that oxygen filling my blood which my heart will pump around my body.

What effect does this have on my writing? It blows the cobwebs away and lets my brain cogitate whatever I have been writing on. If I can't get out for whatever reason, I will go somewhere indoors. Places I've found where I can sit and think are children's indoor play centres (my daughter can happily run around while I sit and read), cafes - also an excuse to have coffee and cake while I'm not thinking about writing, churches - if you can find one open and want a bit of peace and quiet. A different environment is always good for letting off steam and to think about something else for a while instead of writing. When you get back to your writing you will find your enthusiasm and inspiration restored.

Where do you go and what do you do when your not writing and how does it help your writing?

Happy not thinking about writing

Julie x

4 comments:

Lynne Hackles said...

If I go for a walk I always need to be with someone because of my spine problems. So, if I want a good think about my writing I soak in the bath. In one house we were doing up I used crayons to write on the bathroom wall. There were character names, titles, even whole sentences. Then visitors started adding bits to it and I had several whole walls of inspirational graffiti.

Julie P said...

Baths are brilliant for inspiration aren't they, Lynne? I love the fact that you wrote on the tiles. Not sure my husband would appreciate that, lol!

Julie P said...

Baths are brilliant for inspiration aren't they, Lynne? I love the fact that you wrote on the tiles. Not sure my husband would appreciate that, lol!

Maria said...

I go to pilates, I find it empties my head of any stress, and I can let my mind wander.
I follow it up with a session in the steam room and jacuzzi. By the end, I'm ready to start tapping the keyboard again.