Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 14 January 2016

What are you waiting for?

Now that the festivities are well and truly over and it's back to the old routines, take time to think about what you really want to get out of your writing this year. I don't know about you but I had a good writing year last year but there are lots of projects that I didn't manage to get off the ground. I'm not sure if there was a single reason for this, there were several: I got sidetracked by the First World War, I procrastinated, I have a day job, but mostly it was because I wasn't so sure I could make a success out of these projects.

It all boils down to confidence. One of my writing goals last year was to get at least one short story in all the major women's magazines that carry fiction. I managed to get several into one of the magazines but didn't reach my goal with the others. Do I see this as a failure? No. I don't, because I knew that I was successful in other areas of my writing. I had managed to finish three books to deadline and gained another commission with the same publisher. A big achievement for me.

It wasn't as though I'd given in to my confidence demons and not written anything. I was just diverted to non-fiction. But confidence in writing is a fickle thing. You can be as successful as you like in one area but get one rejection, one disappointing critique in another and you are reduced to an inability to write - or think you are.

So, now I have reclaimed my goal of getting at least one short story in all the major women's magazines by the end of this year. Yes, I have repeated my goal because the more I say it, out loud, and to other people, the more likely I am to make the effort to make it happen. And you do need to make the effort. Sitting at your desk, dreaming about opening the magazine and seeing your story in it, although fun, isn't actually going to make your dream come true unless you actually write the stories in the first place.

It's quite a daunting goal for me. Having had many. many, many, short stories rejected in the past by the very magazines I am aiming to target, my confidence in the task isn't exactly high! But I owe it to myself and my writing to give it another shot. The stories will out, that is for sure, but whether they will get published ... watch this space!

What are your writing goals this year and what are you going to do about making them happen?

Happy writing

Julie x

3 comments:

Patsy said...

My goal is to be issue buddies with Julie Phillips!

Julie P said...

That was mine too, Patsy, and we did it! Yay!

Julie P said...

That was mine too, Patsy, and we did it! Yay!